Thursday, July 02, 2009

"Make that change"

Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror



I cried when i watched this clip.

I have been humming this song since the day Michael Jackson passed away. I loved it when i first heard it at his concert. And i rem how a few years later, my hockey coach played it to us, to teach us about changing ourselves for the team and unity. And it is also this song, that made me and my sister turned into somewhat environmentalists. We became very concerned about recycling (though not easy to accomplish in Singapore) and not wasting paper (for the record, i went through FOUR years of university education without using a single stack of foolscap. Except for the exams and term papers which i have no choice, EVERYTHING ELSE on rough paper).

This clip was in the concert VHS (thank goodness there is Youtube) that me and my sis bought and when we saw the A-M-A-Z-I-N-G crowd waving their arms in the air to his singing, we coined the term "ba hu effect". Haha. (Note: "ba hu" as in pork floss. Because there were sooooo many hands, they really looked like ba hu swaying in the wind.)

Anyway now that i am older, i think i appreciate the lyrics so much more. They really go deep and make you think. Plus MJ sang it with such clarity, power and energy, i can understand why the crowd, from young girls to grown-up men were crying. Oh gosh, i am suddenly SO GLAD i saw him perform this live!!!! And i wish everyone could have experienced his performance. I rem when he talked, he is soooo soft-spoken and gentle, but the moment he starts singing, he became this amazing powerful being. Never seen any other performer like him.


I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make the change


Such a mesmerising star, is he really gone?

snuffles at 10:57 PM 0 comments